Pineapple upside-down cake is made from scratch and cooked to tender perfection on the grill. Extra pineapple tidbits make the cake juice and give an extra pop of pineapple. Along with the traditional sliced pineapple and maraschino cherry garnish, you can add pecans for a more decorative look and a bit of crunch.
This cake is perfect for a celebration, especially if you’re cooking outside on the grill. Prepare the batter before dinner, and let the cake cook while you eat. By the time you are done, the cake will be ready to serve and impress your guests.
Grilled Pineapple Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 can (20 oz) sliced pineapples juice reserved
- 1 cup maraschino cherries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 oz) pineapple tidbits juice reserved (optional)
- 1 cup pineapple juice or water
- cast iron skillet
- Warm the grill to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and warm the cast iron skillet.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, and then evenly sprinkle the brown sugar to let them mingle for a bit. Lay down the pecans if you’re so inclined. Distribute the pineapple rings in the skillet. Place one cherry in the center of each ring (or any open space for that matter, depending on how many you want – you’ve got a jar of them might as well use them).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, pineapple tidbits, and pineapple juice. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and cook on the closed grill until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Once done, carefully flip the cake onto a platter and you should have a perfect Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
Dutch Oven Dessert