The individual pineapple cakes are a cute dessert option that is already in individual servings, so there is no arguing over which piece is bigger. They are essentially a mini upside-down pineapple cake.
There are a variety of dishes the individual pineapple cakes can be made in including mini cake tins, ramekins, or even empty food cans (tuna cans are a good size).
This recipe has a very small amount of caramel that is created when baked. However, you can also make extra caramel sauce for those who like it a little sweeter, alternatively, it can be served with cream or whipped cream.
Individual Pineapple Cakes Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 rings of pineapple
- 6 cherries fresh or jarred
- 1 stick salted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (white sugar)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (self raising)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice reserved juice from the can
- camp oven
- Into each individual backing dish (tin, ramekin, or can) add one tablespoon of butter and slosh around to get up the sides.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of brown sugar in each dish, then top with a slice of pineapple and place a cherry in the center.
- Preheat the camp oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs slowly, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Sift together the flours, then fold into the mixture until just combined and almost smooth. Add the pineapple juice.
- Spoon the mixture evenly across the 6 dishes. Use the back of the spoon to make an indentation into each cake. This will help reduce a bulge being created when baked and help it sit flatter on the plate.
- Bake in the preheated camp oven for 40 minutes or until baked (a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean).
- Let the cakes sit for 5 to 10 minutes after baking. Invert onto a serving plate. All going well, the cake and its pineapple will come out cleanly. Serve as is or top with a butterscotch sauce, cream, or similar.
Dutch Oven Dessert
BBQ Grilled Dessert