A savory twist on the popular breakfast and brunch treat of French Toast, with cheese and tomatoes. This filled and fried sandwich is the perfect camping or weekend breakfast on the backyard BBQ.
The basic premise is that a whole tomato and cheese sandwich is dipped in egg, then fried. Once you have the idea nailed down, you can make any filling you want. Ham, chicken, pesto, or any other of your favorite sandwich fillings. You can also add fresh herbs, like basil, for extra flavor.
All flat pieces of cooking equipment can be used including a skillet, flat top grill, or griddle. Along with this, any heat source can be used such as gas or a campfire. This makes it a versatile meal suitable for any outdoor adventure.
French Toast Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices bread
- 1 slice cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- oil, as needed
- Make the sandwich with two slices of bread, cheese, tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the egg and milk.
- Dip the whole sandwich in the egg mixture, turning to get maximum coverage and use up all of the egg mixture.
- Fry each side of the sandwich in a skillet with oil until golden brown (this can also be done on a griddle or flat-top grill).