For a fun and tasty appetizer or finger food, this is a cute little twist on the term ‘fish and chips’. It uses smoked salmon as the fish and packaged potato chips as the serving vessel.
It’s elegant enough to be served at a special event or fancy picnic, but my kids thought it was just super funny and ate them all up.
The hardest part about preparing fish and chips with smoked salmon is finding and then keeping the potato chips in one piece. The cream cheese in the photos is piped as this is a quick way to do a lot, but when camping or doing a few for just us we simply dollop on with a spoon.
Fish and Chips with Smoked Salmon Recipe
- 1 large bag plain chips
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- dill to garnish
- piping bag and nozzle, optional
- Sort through the bag of chips laying out the whole chips on a platter.
- Slice the salmon into thin strips of a suitable size then fold and place on the chips.
- Using two teaspoons make a small dollop of cream cheese and place it on top of the smoked salmon.Tip: To make look fancier or if making a large volume, beat the cream cheese until softer and add to a piping bag to pipe onto the smoked salmon.
- Garnish with a small piece of dill.