Impress your fellow campers with this super simple, but incredibly delicious peach crisp. Your Dutch oven is the perfect way to cook up this crisp, with bubbly filling and a golden-brown topping.
The ingredients are easy to prepare, and the topping can be prepared ahead of time. A mixture of flour, oats, sugar, and butter can be placed in a sealable plastic bag, then blended together right before baking.
If you prefer to make this recipe indoors instead of camping, simply bake it in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for 40 to 50 minutes. It will be just as tasty but may lose a bit of the cooking-outdoors “wow” factor.
Dutch Oven Peach Crisp Recipe
- 1 pound ripe peaches cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar divided
- 4 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Dutch oven
- charcoal briquettes
- 9-inch pie pan
- Prepare charcoal briquettes. Place three small rocks or other heatproof items in the bottom of a Dutch oven.
- Combine the peaches, brown sugar, lemon juice, and flour in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar, flour, oats, and salt.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips to form coarse crumbs.
- Place the prepared peach base in the pie pan.
- Sprinkle crisp topping oat mixture over the fruit.
- Place the pie pan in the preheated Dutch oven and put on the lid.
- Place nine briquettes under the Dutch oven and 18 briquettes on top, in a checkerboard fashion.
- Cook until the crisp is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 40 to 50 minutes. Rotate the Dutch oven halfway through baking, and replenish the coals as needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Grilled Side Dish
BBQ Grilled Dessert