Although some people think it is too much effort to bread/crumb your own meat to make skillet chicken tenders, it is totally worth the effort. The flavor and quality of crumb coating are better than many store-bought equivalents, often with a much better chicken-to-crumb ratio.
Easily cooked in a skillet over fire or gas chicken tenders are a great camping choice, and can satisfy the fussiest, fast-food-loving kids. They resemble their favorite kid’s item menu found at most restaurants.
Originally chicken tenders were actually in reference to the tenderloins, but as time has gone on the name seems to now include any cut of the chicken, even thighs, with the tender being a reference to the meat being tender.
Skillet Chicken Tenders Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose (plain flour)
- 2 teaspoons favorite rub
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallow bowls
- 12 inch or bigger skillet
- Lay out the three shallow bowls, in the first combine the flour and rub, in the second whisk together the egg and milk, and in the third add the breadcrumbs.
- Lay out the each chicken breast and slice into even pieces. Alternately the chicken breast can be exchanged for an equivalent weight of chicken tenderloins.
- One piece of chicken at a time move them from one bowl to the next covering completely. First they are dusted in the seasoned flour, then dipped in the egg, and finally covered in a coat of breadcrumbs.
- If there is time place the crumbed chicken in a cooler to chill while preparing the skillet.
- Heat the skillet to a medium temperature.Tip: If the skillet gets too hot the breadcrumbs can easily burn will the chicken inside doesn’t get a chance to cook.
- Add the butter and olive oil and leave to melt.Tip: The combination of the two oils creates a pleasing taste and seems to reduce the burning of the butter solids.
- Place the breaded/crumbed chicken in the heated skillet and cook until golden brown then turn and cook the other side. By the time it is brown the inside will also be cooked, however if in doubt check the internal temperature which should be at or over 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Serve immediately.
BBQ Grilled Meat
BBQ Grilled Meat