Three ingredients go into making this tasty campfire hot dog including the fresh bread crust. It is both a meal and a fun activity to do as a family.
Experiment with the hot dog brand used in this or even try a smoked sausage to mix things up. Don’t forget to pack your favorite condiments like ketchup, mustard, or Barbecue sauce.
The art of creating the perfect campfire hotdog all comes down to the temperature control including creating a consistent bed of coals and patience to cook slowly so it is cooked all the way through, not just cooked outside and raw inside.
Campfire Hot Dog Recipe
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup cream whipping or thickened
- 4 hot dogs
- marshmallow stick
- In a bowl combine the flour and cream then mix to create a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 then wrap each around a hot dog.
- Place the wrapped hot dog on a marshmallow stick and cook slowly over the coals of the fire. It needs to be cooked in a slow fashion so the dough cooks all the way through and the hot dog heats up, cooked too quickly and the outside is likely to burn while the inside is raw.
- When cooked, if tapped the dough will sound hollow. Carefully remove from the stick and eat.