This simple campfire hot dog wrap is a great lunch and hand food that can easily be cooked by kids learning outdoor cooking. It uses familiar ingredients that are often on-hand, so kids will be used to the flavors. It is a fun and hands-on recipe the kids will enjoy making with you.
It is almost not worth calling this a recipe as it is so simple. These instructions include mustard and ketchup but you can pick the sauces based on what you like. You can even use your favorite barbecue sauce or chili sauce.
The trick to cooking these hot do wraps to perfection is a good bed of coals and some patience. If you use flames or cook in a spot too hot, the tortilla will burn without heating up the inside of the hotdog. Always make sure you supervise young campers around the fire.
Campfire Hot Dog Wrap Recipe
- 1 tortilla
- ketchup (tomato sauce)
- 1 slice cheese
- 1 hotdog
- toasting stick
- Take the tortilla and cut two sides to create a strip the same size as the hot dog.Tip: The tortilla slicing step may be skipped but it risks burning the parts of the tortilla not touching the hot dog. They may also be folded in, but generally, they have flipped out during cooking.
- At one of the remaining curved ends of the tortilla, add a line of mustard and ketchup then place the cheese and hot dog on top.
- Roll the tortilla around the cheese and hotdog until all the tortilla is used.
- Skewer to hold the hot dog roll with the toasting fork making sure that both pass through the center and out the other side to keep it secure while cooking.
- Hover the hot dog wrap over the campfire’s coals to slowly heat and toast until golden brown. Eat straight away.Tip: If in a spot too hot the tortilla will cook and possibly even burn without heating the inside of the hot dog.
More Hot Dog Recipes
Hot Dog Tart
Campfire Hot Dog