Combining two fast-food favorites, hot dogs and tacos, meet the camping and budget-friendly hot dog taco. It is almost embarrassingly good how amazing this tastes considering how simple the ingredients are used to make it. Everything is cooked on a basic barbecue grill.
The recipe is a great one for kids to help prepare and learn basic grill skills. The ingredients are familiar and the recipe is super simple to prepare. Let your kids help assemble the tacos or help grill them, with adult supervision.
The meal can be stepped up a little based on your ingredient selection. A higher-quality cheese mix can be used, and there are a wide range and qualities of hot dogs and guacamole. You can also add other fixings, like diced onions, salsa, or sliced black olives.
Camping Hot Dog Taco Recipe
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 tortillas
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 4 toothpicks
- Heat a barbecue or griddle over a campfire to medium heat.
- Cook the hot dogs until brown on the outside and hot in the center.
- Build the tacos by laying out the tortillas, smearing them with the guacamole, and topping them with the lettuce, hot dog, and cheese.
- Fold up the tortilla to create the traditional taco shape and hold the top together with a toothpick.
- Place the hot dog tacos back on the grill laying them on their side. Turn over when grill marks appear.
- When both sides have grill marks and the cheese is melted, remove the toothpicks and serve.