Cooked in a cast-iron skillet, breakfast potatoes flavored with bacon and onion is a hearty meal when served with eggs. If you prefer not to use bacon in this recipe, make sure to add plenty of oil to the pan before cooking the potatoes to replace the bacon drippings.
Play around with the recipe and add different seasonings and spices. Try cooking it with a few diced bell peppers or fresh hearty herbs, like rosemary or thyme. For something extra special, drizzle with maple syrup just before serving.
The skillet can be cooked over gas or a campfire making it a versatile option while camping. This meal can also be cooked in a Dutch oven or on a flat top grill.
Skillet Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into 1-inch (2 1/2cm) pieces
- 3 pieces bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning or all-purpose rub
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet and cook until just starting to brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bacon and onions to the skillet. Continue to cook until the bacon renders its fat and the onions soften, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and Old Bay seasoning and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve while still hot.