Potatoes are smashed open and then stuffed (well at least topped) with cheese, sour cream, and bacon to make a great appetizer or side dish. Be sure to pick quality bacon and cheeses to get the best results.
The trick to these extra delicious potatoes is boiling them in salted water first, until nice and tender, then crisping them in the camp oven as the cheese is being melted. If you don’t have an oven available, you can also bake them in a heavy Dutch oven.
Tasting just like a stuffed baked potato, your friends and family won’t be able to resist these smashed versions. You can also load them up with any of your other favorite baked potato toppings.
Stuffed Smashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds small yellow potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon crumbled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs such as chives, cilantro, or parsley
- baking tray
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted, boiling water and cook until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Preheat the camp oven or closed grill to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C).
- Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Smash each potato with the back of a spoon or similar. Tip: If the potatoes are too big cut them in half before smashing.
- Brush the potatoes with oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle each potato with the parmesan and cheddar cheeses.
- Bake in the camp oven until the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish each potato with bacon crumbles, sour cream, and your selected fresh herb.
More Potato Recipes
Planked Stuffed Potatoes
Stuffed Hasselback Potatoes