If you are looking for a hearty stew on your next camping trip, don’t look past this traditional French Beef Bourguignon recipe. Made with red wine, fresh herbs, and bacon, this is a savory and comforting meal.
This recipe uses small pearl onions and small mushrooms, but feel free to substitute with the ingredients available to you. If you only have large onions and mushrooms available, you can slice them into smaller pieces and add them to the stew.
Fresh bread can be baked at the same time the stew is cooking or you can use pre-cooked bread. The stew and fresh bread make the dish a meal. This dish just oozes with rustic traditional beefy flavor.
Beef Bourguignon Recipe
- 2 pounds stewing beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 ounces bacon diced
- 1/2 pound small white mushrooms or button mushrooms
- 1/2 pound pearl onions or similar small onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose (plain flour)
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 clove garlic halved
- 12 inch Dutch oven
- Dice the stewing beef into pieces about 1-inch (2cm) square. Place in a plastic bag with the onions, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, and red wine.
- Place in a cooler and leave to marinate for 3 to 6 hours.
- In the Dutch oven over moderate heat, add the diced bacon and let cook until soft and translucent but not browned. Remove.
- In the bacon fat, gently cook the mushrooms until brown and the fluids are released. Remove.
- In the bacon fat, cook the whole peeled onions and cook gently until browned all over. Remove.
- Drain the red wine from the marinade, reserving it for later use. Place the beef in the Dutch oven and gently brown on all sides.
- Add the butter. When melted add the flour and create a roux.
- When the roux is formed add the reserved drained red wine. When thickened and simmering, add the beef stock. Add the whole herb sprigs and garlic then let simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove the herbs and garlic from the stew. Add the cooked bacon, mushrooms, and onions. Cook for an additional 30 minutes, then serve.
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals