Sweet Bourbon Glazed Ham is all about adding that finishing touch to an amazing piece of meat. Popular over the holiday season it doesn’t need to be confined to it, but can still be made year-round
You can use any type of ham from solid bone-in, spiral cut, or bone-free lunch style hams as in the photo. This decision is more about what you can easily transport, your budget, and the number of people you are feeding.
When selecting your bourbon it can be your favorite drinking one (many people say you should cook with the one you drink), however, it is also common to find a cheaper brand that cooks well kept in the pantry rather than the drinking cupboard.
Sweet Bourbon Glazed Ham Recipe
- 10 pound ham
- 30 cloves or as needed
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 3 cups apple cider or apple juice
- disposable pie tin
- Depending on the ham being used, trim the excess fat from the ham leaving a ⅛ inch (1/2cm) layer only. Take a sharp knife and score the ham about ½ inch (1cm) deep and 2 inches (5cm) apart creating diamonds. Stick a clove into the center of each diamond.
- In a small bowl add the sugar, mustard, and bourbon then mix into a paste.
- Rub the paste over the whole ham. Wrap with plastic wrap and leave for 30 minutes in a cooler.
- Preheat the camp oven or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Pour the apple cider or juice into disposable pie tin then add the ham. Place the tin and ham in the preheated camp oven or Dutch oven. Cook for 2 hours. Remove the lid and baste every 20 to 30 minutes.
- When cooked, transfer to a board and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
More Ham Recipes
Honey Glazed Smoked Ham
Dutch Oven Main Dish
Dutch Oven Ham and Pineapple
BBQ Grilled Sandwich