A staple for easy weekday lunches and university student meals, is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. So why shouldn’t it be a camping staple, too?
There is no need for any fancy equipment, just a good grill and you are ready to go. A skillet or a cover helps with the cheese melting but is not necessary. You can pack the sandwich and then cook it when you stop for lunch.
The biggest thing to remember is to make sure that the temperature is fairly low, so the cheese has time to melt before the grilled bread burns. The sandwich goes great with a bowl of soup if you are trying to turn this snack into a meal.
Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices white bread
- 3 thin slices smoked ham
- 1 slice cheese or grated cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lay the bread out.
- Place the ham and cheese on one of the pieces of bread. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the two sides together to make a sandwich.
- Cook on a low to medium grill covered with an upside-down skillet. Cook until grill marks appear on one side then flip. Cook the other side in the same fashion until grill marks appear and the cheese is melted.
- Let cool so you don’t burn your mouth on the hot cheese, cut and enjoy.