Grilled watermelon has a wonderful flavor and makes a sweet, but relatively healthy, salad for a hot summer day. Flavored with mint and goat’s cheese it is divine.
The watermelon is charred on the grill in large slices, then chopped into bite-size pieces. The salad can be served warmed if desired, but if you can chill it down it makes a great temperature contrast to hot grilled meat.
The crumbled goat cheese adds a salt element to the dish. If it is too mild for your tastes, substitute it with feta cheese or add extra salt to the dish.
Grilled Watermelon Salad Recipe
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons mint leaves finely diced
- 1/2 watermelon
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese
- grill grates
- Combine the white wine vinegar, maple syrup, and mint. Leave to marinate while preparing and cooking the watermelon.
- Slice the watermelon into rounds, then grill on a very hot grill to get caramelized grill marks (this step isn’t trying to cook the watermelon, just give it more flavor).
- Dice the grilled watermelon into equal-sized cubes and drizzle with the salad dressing. Place in a cooler or fridge to chill.
- Place the watermelon on the serving plate, then sprinkle with the fresh mint and goat cheese. Serve immediately before it warms up.
Grilled Side Dish