Caprese Salad is a great option for the outdoors. The foundation ingredients can be varied for the style of your outdoor adventure. It can be used as a light meal or as a side dish.
When hiking, the individual servings of the mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes both travel well. For bigger camps, larger tomatoes and the pre-sliced fresh mozzarella are great options.
The bright colors of red tomatoes, white mozzarella, and green basil make a vibrant addition to any meal. It is perfect as a side dish for a wide variety of mains. The same toppings as those used to create a Margherita pizza.
Caprese Salad Recipe
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 package mozzarella cheese
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or reduced balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- Slice the tomato and mozzarella into your preferred serving sizes, such as slices.
- Slice or tear the basil into your preferred serving size, some people like large pieces but this can be overpowering for others.
- On a serving plate arrange the tomato, mozzarella, and basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then sprinkle with the sea salt. Serve immediately.
BBQ Grilled Sandwich