Tender filet mignon steaks are wrapped in applewood smoked bacon and served with herbed butter and Gorgonzola cheese for a special treat. This main course is sure to impress even the most sophisticated diners.
Cooking the beef over a charcoal briquette fire infuses the meat with a hint of smoke that you don’t achieve from a skillet or broiler. Use a charcoal grill, like a Weber Kettle, for the best flavor.
A decadent twist on the classic French recipe, Bacon-Wrapped Smoked Filet Mignon is paired with a simple herbed butter and topped with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese. The steak is marinated overnight in oil and the herbed butter is mixed with the pan juices, for an extra moist piece of beef.
Smoked Filet Mignon Recipe
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 (4 oz) filet mignon steaks choice grade or above
- Slap Yo’ Daddy "Love Me Tender" All Purpose Rub -Hot
- 2 tablespoons cracked peppercorns
- 4 slices applewood bacon
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped herbs like thyme and rosemary
- 4 ounce Gorgonzola cheese crumbled
- wood chips
- Place the oils into a container or plastic zip bag. Add the steaks and let marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Flip the package a couple of times while marinating.
- Remove the steaks from the fridge and let them come to room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the hot rub and cracked peppercorns on both sides of the steaks.
- Wrap the bacon around the edge of the steaks and secure it with toothpicks.
- Mix the butter with the chopped garlic, lemon juice, and chopped herbs. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Heat a grill to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) (gas or charcoal) with a hot zone and a cool zone.
- Place the steaks on the cool side of the grill and put some wood chips on the hot side to generate smoke, as you want to smoke them first.
- When the internal temperature of the filets is around 100 degrees F (37 degrees C), for about 20 minutes, move them to the hot side to the grill. Cook to an internal temperature of 140 degrees F (60 degrees C), for medium-rare. Use tongs to turn the filets a few times so both sides have a nice color. Remove from the grill and place in a foil pan.
- Put a big dollop of the herbed butter on top of each filet. Let the filets rest for 15 minutes in the loosely tented foil pan. The butter will melt and coat the filets, making a butter sauce with the au jus from the resting filets.
- Transfer the steaks to a warmed plate. Drizzle the meat with butter juices pooled in the foil pan.
- Garnish with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese on top. Enjoy with your favorite sides like mashed potatoes or grilled asparagus.
BBQ Grilled Meat
BBQ Grilled Meat