Cooking stuffed potatoes is made a lot easier when you use a plank to cook them on, both protecting them from burning, adding an additional flavor, and providing support when lifting and moving.
There are a wide variety of planks to choose from, yet all work well. Although it is always recommended to soak them if you forget it isn’t a major setback and you can use them dry.
At first, the recipe may seem to be a little simple but no additional changes are needed, the result is an amazing flavor with a great balance. Selecting quality ingredients, especially the bacon and cheese however does have an impact on the final result.
Planked Stuffed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 large russet potatoes washed and scrubbed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sea salt or Kosher salt
- 8 rashes bacon fried until crisp, cooled, and crumbed
- 1/2 cup sour cream to garnish
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced to garnish
- large bowl
- saute pan
- Oven-roast or grill the potatoes for 40 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F (280 degrees C) until a knife or toothpick can pierce the potatoes and easily be removed. Take the potatoes off the heat, and allow them to cool until they are easy to handle.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving enough attached to the skin so the potato has some structure.
- Place the potato flesh in a large bowl. Place the potatoes skin side down evenly spaced on a presoaked cooking plank.
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan on low to medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, 5 to 15 minutes.
- Using a fork, stir the onions into the potato filling, then mash the potatoes. Add the cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, and salt then mix thoroughly. Adjust the seasoning, as necessary.
- Scoop this filling into the potato skins on the plank.Tip: You can make the potatoes ahead to this point, and then chill them until you’re ready to finish them at your cookout.
- Prepare your grill for cooking on medium heat. Set the plank on the grill with the stuffed potatoes on top. Close the lid and plank-roast the potatoes for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the stuffed potatoes from the grill when the cheese is melted. Serve on individual plates and garnish with bacon bits, sour cream, and spring onions.