These no-bake energy bars are so simple to make and use staples from your cupboard. Rolled oats, nuts, chocolate chips, and nut butter are mixed together for a healthy and easy bar that requires no baking.
You can make these on the trail if you have a gas stove or small fire, or prepare them ahead of time to take with you. They are sweet enough that the kids will love them and healthy enough that adults will enjoy them as well.
Try making your own variations by changing the mixture of nuts, removing the chocolate, or adding pieces of dried fruit.
No-Bake Energy Bars Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsalted nuts such as almonds or cashews
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 cup peanut or almond butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon salt (see note)
- Parchment paper
- gas stove
- Line a 6-cup baking dish with two pieces of parchment paper, so that it overhangs the dish on both sides (this will make the bars easier to remove later).
- For more flavor, toast the oats and nuts before making the bars. If you don’t have an oven, skip this step. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place oats on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for about 15 minutes. Place the nuts, coconut, and seeds on a separate baking sheet and toast until fragrant, about 7 minutes.
- Combine the peanut butter, honey, and oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir and heat until an even consistency.
- Stir together the oats, nuts, chocolate chips, salt, and peanut butter mixture until evenly mixed. Press firmly into the prepared pan. Let cool completely, then flip out onto a cutting board and cut into bars.
- Wrap the bars tightly in waxed or parchment paper or plastic wrap and eat within five days.
More Snack Recipes
Hiking and Trekking
Trail Mix Chocolate Bark