An incredibly decadent side dish, loaded mashed potatoes includes bacon, cream, and three kinds of cheese all baked in a camp oven. This side dish is so hearty, that it can be turned into a meal. Add a green salad on the side and double on the portions, and you’ll be full and satisfied.
The recipe uses dehydrated potatoes which is a great option for the outdoors as it is easy to transport and store while camping. If desired you can make the mashed potatoes from fresh potatoes. This recipe was cooked on an Aquaforno as an example of the wide range of meals that can be cooked on it.
The three kinds of cheese each add an element to the dish. The mozzarella adds gooeyness, the cheddar adds depth, and the Parmesan adds a salty element. Variations of the cheeses are the quickest way to change the flavor profile.
Loaded Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 6 slices bacon diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cups dehydrated potato flakes
- boiling water as required
- 1/2 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- square baking tray
- Aquaforno Cooking Unit or barbecue
- Light the Aquaforno, or prepare equipment to fry in a skillet, boil water, and preheat a camp oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat then add the diced bacon and onions. Cook until the onions are translucent and the bacon is crisp, this takes about 7 minutes Put aside until needed.
- In a large bowl add the dehydrated potato then start to add the hot water until a thick but smooth mashed potato is created.
- Add to the mashed potatoes the cream, salt, and pepper, then stir to well combine.
- Add three quarters of the cooked bacon and onions, as well as three quarters of the cheddar, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese to the mashed potatoes. Lightly fold through then transfer to the square baking tray.
- Evenly spread the remaining bacon, onions, cheddar, mozzarella, and Parmesan across the top of the potatoes.
- Bake the loaded mashed potatoes for 20 minutes or until all the cheeses on the top are melted. Serve immediately.
More Potato Recipes
Dutch Oven Bacon Potatoes
Grilled Side Dish
Grilled Baby Potato Salad