If you have a frozen block to make ice cream, this homemade chocolate ice cream is a great option for a cold treat in the outdoors. Rich, creamy, and smooth, you’ll have a ton of fun making your own ice cream instead of using store-bought. The ice cream base uses simple ingredients you probably already have on hand, and no need to worry about using raw eggs.
The chocolate mixture is made over heat first, then chilled before turning into ice cream. This can be done at home prior to heading outdoors or can be made on-site. Just make sure you have the means to chill the ice cream base before adding it to the ice cream freezing block.
The ice cream can be served in any way you desire. Using an ice cream cone is a great option to eat outdoors being a hand food with no serving dishes. Bring along your favorite toppings, like sprinkles, whipped cream, or preserved cherries to add on top.
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups full fat milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ice cream freezing block
- In a medium pot, add the sugar, cocoa, and salt.
- Turn on low heat. Gradually whisk in the milk while slowly heating and continue whisking until it comes to a boil.
- Drop back to a simmer while continuing to whisk, then add the cream and vanilla extract. When combined remove from the heat and chill.Tip: If not using the mixture immediately the mixture can be stored in an enclosed container and chilled for up to 2 days.
- To make the ice cream pour a serving size onto the freezing block. Keep the liquid moving until it is frozen and an ice cream consistency. Serve immediately.