Grilled hanger steak is a flavorful and tender cut of beef that many cooks don’t know about. The flavor is similar to a ribeye with the tenderness of a filet and is grilled in a similar way.
This steak is cut from the belly and is usually sold as a whole piece. There is quite a bit of connective tissue, which is best to remove before grilling to make a better eating experience. The butchering task is easy and easier after a little practice.
The hanger steak in this recipe is served with seasoned mushrooms, a bit of garlic, shallots, and red wine. Alternatively, you can serve the steak with your favorite style of steak sauce.
Grilled Hanger Steak Recipe
- 6 pounds hanger steaks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Killer Hogs Steak Rub or your favorite steak rub
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- olive oil for cooking
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Killer Hogs AP Rub or your favorite rub
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- lump charcoal
- cast iron skillet
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over lump charcoal, about 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Remove the connective tissue between each section of hanger steak, splitting it into two pieces. Trim away any excessive silver skin or fat.
- Coat each steak with olive oil then sprinkle the rub over all the steak's surfaces. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Place a cast-iron skillet on the grill and add the butter and remaining olive oil. Sauté the garlic and shallots for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and season with the rub. Toss the mushrooms in the butter mixture to coat.
- Pour in the Worcestershire and wine and continue to cook until the mushrooms are brown and the liquid reduces. Remove from the grill and cover until ready to serve.
- Grill the steaks for 2 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature reaches 120 to 125 degrees F (49 to 52 degrees C). Remove from the grill and rest, loosely covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice the hanger steak across the grain and serve with the mushrooms.
BBQ Grilled Meat
BBQ Grilled Meat