Teriyaki is a Japanese cooking method of grilling marinated chicken, this version uses an easy homemade marinade that features pineapple juice.
Once cooked, you can serve the grilled teriyaki chicken in a variety of methods as simple as on a bed of steamed rice, more substantial servings may include fried rice or noodles such as yakisoba.
The marinading and quick-cook grilling method ensures that the chicken remains tender and moist. This is also helped by using chicken thighs that have more fat. Chicken breast may be used however a much closer eye must be kept on it while cooking to stop it from overcooking and drying out.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 12 boneless chicken thighs
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice, garlic, and ginger. Mix well.
- Remove half a cup of the teriyaki marinade.
- Add the chicken thighs and remaining teriyaki marinade to a plastic ziplock bag then chill to marinade for 2 hours.
- Set up a grill for indirect heating with a hot and cool side.
- Add the chicken to the hot side of the grill. Cook basting with the reserved marinade and turning regularly until it reaches a golden color.
- Transfer the chicken to the cool side of the griull until the internal temperature rises to 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Rest the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Serve the teriyaki chicken with your preferred side and garnish with sliced spring onion.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
BBQ Grilled Meat
Grilled Lemongrass Chicken
BBQ Grilled Meat
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
BBQ Grilled Kebab