This fried-not-fried method of cooking chicken wings takes advantage of the hot dry air moving in a barbecue to cook crumbed chicken without the use of any oil. It is the same principles of cooking with an air-fryer with the corresponding health benefits.
This method, with a crispy and crunchy coating, is made by combining Doritos for an unusual topping. The wings are dipped in seasoned flour, egg mixture, then the Dorito mixture. Other strongly seasoned chips can be substituted for the Doritos.
Creating all the elements of any crumbing station can be a bit of a chore, but especially in this case, it is well worth the effort. Each layer of the coating is important in flavor and a creating the crispy coating.
Fried-Not-Fried Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 cans beer
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup course sea salt
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder divided
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 6 ounces Cheese Supreme Doritos
- 6 ounces Nacho Cheese Doritos
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine the beer, water, brown sugar, black peppercorns, chili flakes, and salt in a large sealable plastic bag.
- Divide the chicken wings at the joints keeping the two pieces with meat and discard the wingtips.
- Add the wings to the sealable plastic bag containing the brine. Chill for 1 hour to let the flavors penetrate, then turn halfway to rearrange the chicken and brine.
- When crumbing there are three stations: flour, egg mix, and crumbs. Each of these needs to be set up before starting the crumbing process.
- Combine the flour, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, and ground black pepper in a shallow dish.
- In a separate shallow dish, mix together the eggs, paprika, and soy sauce.
- Crush the Doritos into fine breadcrumb-sized pieces using a food processor. Mix in the chives, cayenne, and remaining garlic powder.
- Remove the wings from the marinade and pat dry.
- Start the crumbing process. For each piece of chicken dust them in the flour, drench them in the egg mixture to coat, then roll them in the crumbs.
- Preheat a grill with a Kettle Kone to a temperature of 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Add the wings to the indirect area, cover the BBQ with the lid, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken wings from the barbecue and serve immediately, while still crunchy.
BBQ Grilled Seafood
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
BBQ Grilled Appetizer