Yes, you can actually cook cream puffs in a Dutch oven! They are as good or better than what you can make over a stove.
Although you can use anything to stuff in them this is a particularly tasty option that combines cream and instant pudding mixture.
Ideal for a camping potluck or event that has a finger food option. Eating with your fingers would definitely save on the dishes!
Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 16 oz heavy whipping cream (thickened cream)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 packet vanilla pudding mix
- 12 inch Dutch oven
- Melt the butter in a medium pot, then add the water and bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the flour and salt over medium-high heat and stir vigorously until a dough ball is formed. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the Dutch oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Begin beating the batter vigorously again while adding the eggs one at a time. Beat until completely combined and smooth.
- Drop puff dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inches (5cm) apart in the Dutch oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden puffs are formed. Cool on sheets on a wire rack.
- Beat the cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form, then stir in the dry pudding mix. Place in a cooler to chill.
- In a plastic bag add a piping tip in one corner, then fill with the cream filling. Insert piping tip into the cooked and cooled puff then fill with about 1 tablespoon of cream filling.
- Serve immediately, may be garnished with a sprinkle of confectioners sugar.
Dutch Oven Dessert