America loves deep-fried foods so it isn’t surprising that this extends to their favorite cookie, the Oreo. An Oreo is a chocolate sandwich cookie with a cream center. This decadent treat is dipped in pancake batter before being deep-fried to crispy, golden perfection.
Although this does use the brand cookie of an Oreo (a registered trademark of Nabisco (Mondelez International) Cadbury Milka going back to 1912) it can actually incorporate any chocolate sandwich cookie. It actually doesn’t even need to be chocolate. You can dip and deep fry your favorite sandwich cookie, of any flavor.
Deep frying can be a dangerous cooking method. Hot oil can splash and burn people and is highly flammable. Be sure to set up a safe working environment when cooking outdoors.
Deep Fried Oreos Recipe
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
- oil for deep fryer like canola
- 1 packet Oreos or similar sandwich cookie
- powdered sugar to garnish
- deep fryer
- In a medium bowl whisk together the oil, egg, and milk.
- Stir in the pancake mix continuing to whisk until there are no lumps.
- Place the oil in a deep fryer oil and heat it to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- When the oil is at temperature, dip the Oreo in the pancake batter then gently place it in the oil. Only cook 3 or 4 cookies at a time otherwise too much heat will be taken from the oil.
- When golden brown all over (you may need to flip partway through cooking) remove the cookies from the oil and drain on a cooling rack or paper towel.
- Serve while still warm with a last-minute dusting of powdered sugar.
More Deep Fried Recipes
Dutch Oven Dessert
Dutch Oven Banana Fritter
Glazed Apple Fritters