Perfect as a standby side for camping with a little more flavor than a basic bread, corn fritters are a quick and easy side. They offer a great balance of sweet and savory which is partly why they are so versatile.
The key ingredient is canned cream corn which is the perfect emergency backup food for camping. This recipe uses an egg, but it can be made without if they are unavailable.
The uses of these are endless and can replace bread, pancakes, or even rolls in many meals. They can even be made small and have toppings added and then served as finger food.
Easy Corn Fritter Recipe
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 egg
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- flat top grill (or frypan, skillet, or griddle)
- Empty the can of creamed corn in a bowl.
- Add the egg then combine until the corn and egg are well mixed.
- Add the flour a few tablespoons at a time until your desired thickness is reached. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the flat top grill to medium heat then add some oil.
- Add a fritter worth of batter and fry until brown, turn then cook the other side.
- Continue cooking until all the batter is gone.
More Fritter Recipes
Skillet Corn Fritter
Dutch Oven Dessert
Dutch Oven Banana Fritter
Picky kid loved these. Adding salt wasn’t necessary since the canned corn had enough. And I premixed all-purpose flour and baking powder in place of the self-rising kind. We went the syrup route this time, but I will also try as a savory food. Great camping fare.