Fresh apples are hand-battered before being deep-fried to create these tempting glazed apple fritters. Not to be confused with apple fritter doughnuts, these are a different but equally delicious dessert. You can dust them with confectioners sugar right before serving.
You can cut the apples any way you want. We’ve cut these ones to look like chips, so they are easy to pick up with your fingers. Although any apple can be used, Granny Smith apples are the best for cooking because of their firm texture and tart flavor.
When deep frying outdoors be extra careful of spillage and fires. There is an extra element of risk with this method of cooking which shouldn’t be underestimated. Children should also be closely supervised if helping to deep-fry this dessert.
Glazed Apple Fritters Recipe
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk full cream milk
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 teaspoons milk
- canola oil as needed
- 1 plastic zip lock bag
- 1 large bowl
- 2 small bowls
- deep fryer
- cooling rack
- Peel, core, and chop the apples into chunks.
- Place the apples and lemon juice in the zip lock bag then mix and put aside until needed.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the sugar and eggs until well combined.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the bowl of the dry ingredients while gently mixing but being careful not to over stir. Add the milk and mix in. Put aside until needed.
- In a small bowl add the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract, and half the milk. Stir to combine.
- Add the additional milk as needed to create a pourable consistency glaze.
- Place the oil in the deep fryer and heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Add the apple slices to the batter and fold through to cover.
- Place the battered apples into the deep fryer and cook until golden brown. Remove and place on a cooling rack to drain any excess oil and cool.
- When the fritters are cool, dip in the glaze and return to the cooling rack to set. Serve at room temperature.
More Fruit Dessert Recieps
Dutch Oven Dessert
Dutch Oven Banana Fritter
Skillet Pineapple Fritters