Using pancake mixture as the base, along with canned corn, this recipe creates fluffy and light skillet corn fritters. The fritters are both sweet and savory and can be served with breakfast or dinner. They are golden brown and crisp on the outside, and fluffy on the inside.
Once cooked they can be served as a side, a base to be topped with goodies, or simply eaten as a snack. The size you cook them can also be adjusted depending on how you plan to serve them. You can make them as small or large as you desire.
There are many pancake mixes on the market and all tested to date work well. Our preference is for a buttermilk-style instant pancake mix. If you have the time and ingredients, you can also use a homemade pancake mix.
Skillet Corn Fritter Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn drained
- cooking oil to a depth of 1-inch
- Blend the egg and milk in a bowl. Add the pancake mix, stirring until fairly smooth (the batter will be stiff).
- Fold the drained corn into the batter.
- Heat the oil in a skillet until about 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cook the corn fritters in small batches until golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain on a paper towel to remove any excess grease. Serve while still hot.