A sweet tooth’s dream, chocolate rocky road is a slice that is packed with marshmallows, nuts, and candy. The whole thing is held together by a chocolate and peanut butter mixture. It is crunchy, chewy, creamy, and just plain delicious.
It is suggested that this treat was created around 1853 in Australia. It was a way to use and sell confectionaries that had past their prime on the long import trips from Europe. The chocolate helped cover any flavor issues of the candy.
Now it is a popular treat that can incorporate any marshmallows, nut, or candy combination you can think of, making each one unique. Feel free to add your favorites to create your own custom version. Or use up any pieces of candy and nuts you may have in your cupboard.
Chocolate Rocky Road Recipe
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 1/2 cup nuts e.g. walnuts
- 1/2 cup gummies e.g. gummy bears
- double boiler (or saucepan and heatproof bowl)
- baking tray
- In a bowl over simmering water (double boiler) add the peanut butter and dark chocolate chips.
- Heat until the chocolate has melted and the peanut butter is stirred in smoothly.
- Add the marshmallows, nuts, and gummies to the chocolate mixture. Stir until completely covered with the chocolate mixture and evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto a tray then chill to set.
- Once set, slice the rocky road into squares to serve.
More Chocolate Recipes
Chocolate Apricot Bites (Fruchocs)
Chocolate Caramel Slice