Chocolate caramel slice is a popular Australian bakery item that is great for picnics, packed lunches, and desserts. The firm base gives the softer caramel center and chocolate top support when it is picked up to eat. This dessert is a decadent treat, with layers of cookie, condensed milk caramel, and a rich chocolate topping.
There are a few steps to create the layers. This includes two different baking elements, two chilling elements, and a stovetop creation of the caramel. However, with all that said, it is still relatively easy and worth the effort to make.
The caramel is a variation of a Dulce de Leche with the addition of golden syrup. If this is not available it can be substituted with brown sugar. Be careful to make sure the brown sugar completely dissolves otherwise it will create a gritty caramel.
Chocolate Caramel Slice Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 cans (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 7 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or coconut oil
- slice tray or tray cake pan
- Preheat a camp oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Fully line, including the sides, a slice tray, or an 11- by 7-inch (28cm x 18cm) cake tray.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, desiccated coconut, and salted butter in a bowl until well mixed.
- Transfer to the lined slice tray and press down to create the base layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden, then remove from the oven. Leave in the slice tray to cool.
- Combine the condensed milk, golden syrup, and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk continually while heating for 8 minutes or until golden.
- Pour the condensed milk caramel over the cookie base. Return the tray to the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tray to cool. When at room temperature chill for 3 hours or until fully set.
- Place the chocolate and vegetable shortening into a heatproof bowl over a pot with a small amount of water. Slowly heat while stirring, until all the chocolate is melted.
- Pour the chocolate topping over the caramel then chill to set.
- Remove the whole caramel slice from the tray, then cut it into squares to serve.
More Chocolate Recipes
Dutch Oven Dessert
Chocolate and Cherry Dump Cake
Campfire Chocolate Bananas