Nowadays anything that has a cookie, chocolate, and marshmallow combination seems to get the name smore. So here is a version that uses chocolate mousse layered with cookies and marshmallows.
The recipe includes a basic camp recipe for chocolate mousse, without using eggs. You could skip this part and make the recipe even easier and use a packet of instant pudding instead.
The ginger snap option for the base is a slight twist and offers a unique flavor to the dessert. But any available cookie, wafer, or biscuit will work just as well.
Chocolate Mousse Smore Recipe
- 2 cups whipping cream (thickened cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 9 ounces dark chocolate
- 10 ounces ginger snaps or similar cookie/biscuit, crushed
- 12 ounces marshmallows
- double boiler
- 6 jars
- Whip the cream until thick. Add the vanilla and sugar, then continue whipping until well combined and holding peaks.
- Over a double boiler melt the dark chocolate until smooth. Leave to cool.
- When the chocolate is cool but still runny pour it into the whipped cream while whisking. Continue to whisk until well combined.
- In each jar place a layer of the ginger snaps.
- Top the ginger snaps with the chocolate mousse.
- Top the chocolate mousse with marshmallows.Tip: If you plan to put the lid on the jar adjust levels so this can be done. Alternatively, add the marshmallows just before serving at the eating location.
- Using a chef torch or camp oven that can broil, quickly brown the top of the marshmallows. Tip: Be careful not to heat the whole dessert otherwise the chocolate mousse will melt.
Hiking and Trekking