A super hands-off meal that is packed with flavor sausage and pepper foil packets will be your go-to for camping trips and weeknight dinners. You can cut the peppers and onions ahead of time, so all you need to do is heat up the grill or start the campfire, and assemble your meal. Relax and enjoy the outdoors while dinner does the cooking for you.
For the best flavor and appearance, grill the smoked sausage for a few minutes before adding them to the packets to get nice char marks. To make sure the packets don’t rip or tear while cooking, always use heavy-duty aluminum foil. And don’t forget to carefully flip the packets halfway through cooking, so the peppers cook evenly.
You can play around with the color and spice levels of the peppers you use. If you like things mild, stick with bell peppers. If you want to add a bit of heat, try Anaheim or poblano peppers. You can use yellow or red onion in this recipe.
Sausage and Pepper Foil Packets Recipe
- 4 bell peppers any color, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 small onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or white wine
- 2 teaspoons garlic herb seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 links smoked sausage halved
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- Preheat a grill over high heat or start a campfire. Cut four sheets of foil about 12-inches (30cm) long.
- Divide the peppers and onions between the foil sheets. Drizzle with the chicken broth or wine, then sprinkle with the herb seasoning. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill the sausages until charred, about 3 minutes per side, then divide them among the foil packets.
- Fold the foil packets crosswise over the sausage mixture to completely cover the food. Roll the top and bottom edges to seal them closed.
- Place the foil packets on the grill or in the campfire and cook until the peppers and onions are tender, 15 to 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Carefully open each foil packet and serve immediately.