Cottage pie is a wonderful one-pot meal idea for any camping trip. It also makes a perfect meal for those cooler months. Cooked in a single Dutch oven it is also a simple meal to prepare.
Although very similar, a cottage pie should not be confused with a shepherd’s pie. The latter is made from cubed lamb, while a cottage pie is made from ground beef. Both share a tasty gravy with a mashed potato topping.
Although this recipe uses fresh carrots and peas you can also use frozen, canned, dehydrated, or freeze-dried depending on what style of outdoor cooking you are using. They can also be swapped out for your favorite vegetables.
Camp Cottage Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef (beef mince)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 3 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk or as needed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Italian herbs to taste
- 10 inch Dutch oven
- Heat the Dutch oven to a medium-hot temperature. Fry the ground beef and onions until the beef is dark brown and the onions are soft and starting to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and stir through. Slowly add the beef stock, stirring to make sure anything stuck to the Dutch oven is removed. Add the carrots and peas, then cook until softened.
- Combine in a cup the water and cornstarch until smooth. Mix into the boiling stew and stir until returned to the boil and thickened. Take off the heat.
- Peel the potatoes then boil and mash. Stir in the butter and milk.Tip: The potato topping can also be made using leftover mashed potatoes or instant potato mix when camping.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes gently over the stew, then sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese and Italian herbs.Tip: To make this a one-pot meal cook the mashed potatoes first then put them aside while making the beef component. Add back to the beef stew to finish.
- Place the lid on and bake the cottage pie for 15 minutes at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
Dutch Oven Main Dish
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals
Dutch Oven Dessert