This easy dessert of plank pears gently cooks the fruit. With a light sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon, the plank helps protect the fruit from the heat and adds a subtle wood and smoke flavor.
The recipe uses cinnamon as the flavor to sprinkle over the plank pears. This can be substituted for pumpkin spice or mixed spice to add a different twist.
Try experimenting with other fruits such as apples, peaches, and bananas that are in season or available at your local market. You can serve the pears as is, or with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
BBQ Plank Pears Recipe
- 2 pears
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh cream (mascarpone, or ice cream) for serving
- 1 plank
- Preheat a smoker or closed grill to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Clean the pears then slice carefully downwards to create 6 even thickness slices.
- Lay all the slices out then brush with the butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar. Flip the pears then repeat.
- A cold or preheated plank may be used. Lay the pears out in a decorative fashion of your choice, such as in portion servings.
- Place in the preheated barbecue for 35 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh cream, mascarpone, or ice cream.
More Pear Recipes
Red Wine Poached Pears
BBQ Grilled Dessert
Turmeric Grilled Pears