If you are looking for a no-hassle dessert try this toasted cake with warmed berries. It is a delicious balance of sweet and healthy, and it is super easy to prepare. You can take this dessert one step further by serving it with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
The camp toaster is one of those cooking gadgets that doesn’t seem to get used as much as it could, generally because toast is seen as boring. Toasting cake however is something on the next level. Toasting the cake actually further caramelizes the sugars in it, making the cake even richer and sweeter.
Simple but effective, don’t knock this until you have tried it. People are often surprised by the change of flavor and texture of the cake. You can use any fresh berries in season, or use frozen berries that have been defrosted and drained.
Toasted Cake and Berry Dessert Recipe
- 2 cups berries of choice
- 4 slices pound cake or plain loaf cake
- gas camp toaster
- gas stove
- Set up your camp gas stove with a toaster attachment.
- Place the berries in a saucepan with a dash of water to stop sticking. Heat over low heat to slowly soften.
- Place the cake slices on the toaster to cook until warmed through and a light golden brown on both sides, turning the cake once the first side is brown.
- Serve with two slices of the toasted cake on a plate topped with the softened fresh berries.
More Dessert Recipes
Cast Iron Cooking
Fried Banana Bread
Chocolate Dessert Cake