Perfect for special occasions outdoors or at competitions, this strawberry Danish cake is a sweet and decadent choice. It is a two-layer cake with fresh strawberries in, on, and around it.
There is a bit of work in mixing the scratch cake together, but if pressed for time or storage, then a packet cake mix can be used. The toppings also take a bit of work but the novel approach creates a unique sweet topping.
The fresh strawberries are a great component, but if unavailable they can be swapped out for raspberries, or at a push even substituted with canned fruits. The final fallback could be the use of various candies or chocolates.
Strawberry Danish Cake Recipe
- 3 cups cake flour or plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup shortening or butter
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1 package strawberry junket Danish dessert (or strawberry flavor jello)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 tub (16 oz) cool whip
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 12 inch Dutch ovens
- 2 Parchment paper
- 2 bowls
- Preheat the 2 Dutch ovens to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Measure flour, then add the salt and baking powder, then sift.
- In a large bowl cream the shortening. Add the sugar gradually while continuing to cream until pale and fluffy.
- Add sifted ingredients alternately with the milk and extracts. Beat thoroughly after each addition.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the mixture.
- Line the two preheated Dutch ovens with baking paper.
- Pour batter into the two preheated Dutch ovens equally. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick pressed into the center comes out clean.
- Flip the two cooked cakes out of the Dutch Ovens onto the lids, then leave to cool.
- While the two cakes are cooling, make the junket Danish dessert following the pie glaze directions on the back of the box.Option: make the jello with one-third of the water required for a normal preparation to create a glaze.
- In a bowl mix together 1 cup of powdered sugar with the cool whip. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix 1 cup of powdered sugar and the cream cheese. Mix well.
- Combine the cream cheese mixture and the cool whip mixture together in a large bowl.
- Spread the topping across the top of one of the cakes. Then lay about a third of the strawberries on top of this topping.
- Place the other cake on top of the first then repeat the cool whip topping and strawberries.
- Use the remainder of the topping to cover the sides of the cake and smooth. Decorate around the base of the cake with the remaining strawberries.
- Spread the prepared junket Danish dessert across the top.
More Cake Recipes
Strawberry Poke Cake
Dutch Oven Dessert
Chocolate Bananas Foster Cake
Dutch Oven Dessert