Perfect as an appetizer or finger food, these spinach and feta triangles can be baked in a camp oven. The filling is a rich and creamy mixture of spinach and spices. The crust, made from phyllo dough, is delicate, light, and crumbly.
Super popular in the 1980’s, the feta and spinach triangle finds its origins based around the Greek Spanakopita. Though the flavors and textures are very similar, the spanakopita is usually cooked as a single piece and cut into serving pieces. These triangles are easier to eat, especially when served as appetizers at a gathering.
There are many variations that you can make with this recipe including English-style spinach or baby-style spinach. The feta can be substituted with fresh goat cheese or combined with other cheeses, like Parmesan. Often an egg may be stirred through when the feta is added before baking.
Spinach and Feta Triangles Recipe
- 1 splash olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- pinch nutmeg
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- baking tray
- camp oven
- In a moderately hot skillet add the olive oil and diced onions. Cook until starting to become transparent.
- Add the spinach until warm and well mixed with the onions, then add the nutmeg and stir through.
- Take the skillet off the heat then stir through the crumbled feta.
- Preheat the camp oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Combine the melted butter and olive oil.
- Work with 3 sheets of phyllo at a time, and leave the remaining sheets covered with a damp cloth. Brush each sheet with the butter mixture, then stack onto the previous one. Cut the phyllo lengthways into 4 strips.
- At the end of each strip add 2 tablespoons of the spinach and feta filling. Fold the pastry over the filling to create a triangle holding the filling. Continue to fold the filling over in a triangle until all the pastry is used. Repeat until all the strips and sheets of phyllo pastry are used.
- Place the spinach and feta triangles evenly spread on a baking tray(s). Place in the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.