A quick and easy side dish, this smoked feta pasta can cook while your meat is resting and there is still heat in the smoker. Both will be ready to eat at the same time as part of a hearty meal. This also makes a great vegetarian meal for those guests who would like one.
The feta adds a tart element compared to other cheese choices, but feel free to experiment with what you have on hand. Halloumi, ricotta salata, and queso fresco would also work well with this recipe. Similarly, the style of pasta used can be swapped out with variations like penne, macaroni, or rigatoni.
Choosing a rub you like is important. This recipe uses Blues Hog Bold and Beefy Seasoning, but you can swap it out for your favorite brand or a homemade one. An Italian herb mix is also a tasty choice for a different spin.
Smoked Feta Pasta Recipe
- 1 box rotini pasta
- 14 ounces feta cheese
- 20 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Blues Hog Bold & Beefy Seasoning or favorite beef rub
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Gateway Drum Smoker or similar smoker/grill
- foil pan
- Preheat the smoker to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Cook the pasta as per the packet’s instructions. Drain and put aside until needed.
- Place in the foil pan the feta in the center then surround it with the cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the BBQ seasoning, then the finely diced herbs.
- Place in the preheated smoker and cook for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and the cheese is starting to brown on the edges.
- Remove the foil tray from the smoker and stir to squash the tomatoes and break up the feta. Add the cooked pasta and spinach then fold into the feta mixture. Cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Two Pot Meal