Ratatouille these days is most often associated with the children’s movie of the same title, but it is a great vegetable dish that is easy to make while camping. The fancy slicing tv version is not required with the traditional hearty stew much quicker and easier to make.
The recipe is founded on a French Provençal vegetable stew that most often includes a combination of tomatoes, onions, eggplant, bell peppers, and zucchini. All of which can be found in this recipe.
This dish, however, is very flexible, giving you the option to use what fresh vegetables are available. For more rigorous outdoor adventures you can also substitute the fresh vegetables for their canned version and/or the fresh herbs for dried ones.
Hearty Camp Ratatouille Recipe
- 1 eggplant
- 1 brown onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 sprigs thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 sprig basil or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 sprig parsley or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- pot or Dutch oven
- The first addition is for the vegetable items that take longer to cook. Dice the eggplant, onion, bell pepper, and celery into equal-sized pieces.
- Finely mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Saute the eggplant, then add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Dice the zucchini and tomatoes into the same size as the first addition.
- Remove the leaves from the thyme, basil, and parsley then roughly chop.
- When the first addition of vegetables look like they are almost cooked, add the wine to remove any that are sticking to the base of the pot and deglaze. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the second addition of vegetables and herbs then bring to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer the Ratatouille until the vegetables are a texture to your preference. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper to your preferred taste.
More Camp Stew Recipes
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals
Corned Beef Stew
Campfire Beef Stew