Pumpkin delight is a style of sweet pumpkin pie baked in a Dutch oven. There is a crust, filling, and topping element to the recipe.
This recipe uses canned pumpkin but you can easily make using fresh pumpkin, especially in traveling and camping in America around Halloween.
This can be served with a range of accompaniments including cream, custard, or if available ice cream.
Pumpkin Pie Delight Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup dry milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 can (30 oz) pumpkin
- 3 eggs whisked
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin spice mixed spice
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 12 inch Duct oven
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and dried milk. Reserve 1 cup of this for the topping.
- In the remaining flour mixture add the vanilla, egg, and melted butter. Combine lightly.
- Grease the base and sides of the 12-inch Dutch oven.
- Press the mixture into the base of the Dutch oven and about 1 ½ inches (4cm) up the sides.
- In a bowl combine the pumpkin, eggs, spice, milk, and brown sugar. Mix these ingredients well until they are well combined.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the Dutch oven to fill the crust.
- In a small bowl combine reserve crust mix, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Cut in the cold butter until coarse crumbs are formed, then sprinkle over top of pumpkin filling.
- Bake the pumpkin delight at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 1 hour.
More Pumpkin Recipes
Dutch Oven Baking
Cast Iron Cooking
Apple and Butternut Tart Tatin