Perfect for when the weather starts to cool, this hearty autumn vegetable soup is packed with fresh ingredients. It is a simple soup with a base of butternut squash, carrots, onions, and potatoes. It is earthy with hints of sweetness from the squash and carrots.
Ideal when camping, this soup can be cooked in a pot over a gas stove or in a Dutch oven over the campfire. After the vegetables are tender, it is quickly mashed to make them creamy. It is simple to make yet tastes amazing, as well as healthy.
If you choose a vegan stock the recipe is an ideal option for most special diets including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free. You can also add a splash of cream, to make it even silkier. Or add a boost of protein by using chicken stock.
Autumn Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 small butternut squash
- 3 carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon concentrated vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon herb rub or herb seasoning of choice
- Dice the butternut squash, carrot, potato, and onion into equal-sized pieces.
- Bring a saucepan of water, about ½ gallon (2 liters), to a boil. Add the chopped vegetables and the concentrated stock. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- When the vegetables are cooked mash them with a potato masher. Add the herb rub to taste. Serve hot.
More Soup Recipes
Potato and Bacon Soup
Pea and Ham Soup