Who can resist warm, smoky, melted cheese? When it’s served over crackers or fresh bread, you might even be tempted to skip the main course . . . If you’re in a hurry, you can make the cranberry chutney ahead of time on the stove.
Although this planked cheese recipe uses Brie, you can easily substitute Camembert.
The chutney is excellent with turkey, chicken, or simply with cheese and crackers for your charcuterie platter. Keeps well in the fridge.
The recipe and photo can be found in the book Grilling with House of Q by BBQ Brian Misko published by Figure 1 Publishing.
Plank Brie with Cranberry Chutney Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup House of Q Sugar & Spice BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 wheel Brie cheese 4 to 6 inches (10 to 15cm) in diameter
- 1 packet crackers or slices of fresh bread, to serve
- 1 cedar plank or available wooden cheese plank, unsoaked
- Place the cranberries, BBQ sauce and maple syrup in a sauté pan over medium heat on your gas stove, grill side-burner, or even on the grill, then cook stirring often.
- Once the cranberries begin to soften, press them with the back of a spoon. Once most of the berries have burst, 10 to 20 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Spoon the thickened chutney into an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare your grill for direct grilling, medium-high heat. When the grill is hot, rinse the plank under cold running water and place it on the grate.
- Close the lid and allow the plank to heat for 4 or 5 minutes or until it starts to crackle. Reduce the heat to medium-low and place the cheese on the plank, and then close the lid and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, possibly longer.
- Open the lid and scoop a generous portion of cranberry chutney onto the warming cheese, close the lid and cook until the cheese is puffing out but not burst.
- Transfer the cheese on the plank to a serving plate, and serve immediately with crackers or fresh bread.
More Cheese Recipes
Prosciutto-Wrapped Smoked Brie
Smoked Camembert Cheese