Although not common, it is possible to cook bread on a plank. A thin-style bread, such as focaccia, is a good option that allows it to cook all the way through.
Although normally a yeast bread, this version is simplified for a camp setting. With bread it is even more important that the plank is preheated, otherwise, the base can remain uncooked while the top is overcooked.
This recipe has a basic and fairly traditional focaccia topping of rosemary, olive oil, and flaked salt. You can switch it up with options such as olives, sun-dried tomatoes, or garlic.
BBQ Plank Focaccia Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 7 tablespoons milk
- 1 sprig rosemary chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 cooking plank
- Place the plank in a BBQ or smoker at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) to preheat.
- Rub the flour and butter together.
- Mix in the milk until fully absorbed. Use your hands to knead together and make it smooth.
- Shape the dough to fit on the plank then place the shaped dough on the preheated plank.
- Sprinkle with the rosemary and flaky sea salt.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, then press your fingers into the dough to create dimples.
- Place the plank in the preheated BBQ and cook for 35 minutes.