Margarita-Style Carnitas is a fiesta for the senses! A splash (or two) of Tequila mixed with Margarita mix makes for a citrus kick and a great sauce base.
This dish is cooked in a big Dutch oven and makes for several meals. Serve the carnitas as soft tacos, over rice, or share them with your family and friends.
Just a little spicy with a whole lot of southwestern flavor this dish is perfect for Taco Tuesday and pot luck dinners. It’s cooked in a Dutch oven on the grill, which means you can socialize while the meal practically cooks itself.
Margarita-Style Carnitas Recipe
- 7 pounds boneless pork sirloin cut into large cubes
- 2 tablespoons Cindy Lou’s Chile Lime Seasoning or favorite Mexican seasoning
- olive oil for browning
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 large jalapenos chopped
- 3 large sweet peppers chopped
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 garlic cloves to taste
- 1 cup Tequila Gold or to taste
- 2 cups liquid Margarita mix
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes optional
- Dutch oven
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Season the pork well with the seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the pork, in batches, and sear until brown on all sides. Turn off the heat and return all of the pork to the Dutch oven.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Place the Dutch oven directly onto the grill for 3 hours, stirring every hour until the pork is tender.
More Mexican Recipes
Pork Belly Nachos
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals
Chicken Enchilada Soup