Hearty soups are a wonderful option while camping, being a simple and warming one-pot meal.
This is a Mexican-inspired recipe using a flavor profile traditional to the region, and a masa harina, a Mexican flour that is also used in the making of tortillas and tamales.
Serving ideas include topping with corn tortilla chips, sour cream, and/or shredded/grated cheese.
Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chicken base
- 3 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons finely diced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder chili blend
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups masa harina (Mexican flour)
- 4 quarts water
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound processed cheese cubed
- 3 pounds chicken cooked and cubed
- 12 inch Dutch oven
- In the Dutch oven place the oil, chicken base, diced onion, garlic, cumin, chili, and cayenne. Saute until the onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine Masa Harina with 1-quart water. Stir until all lumps dissolve and it looks like a paste.Tip: The Masa Harina must be mixed into the 1 quart of water completely. If the masa harina is added directly into the soup it is difficult to mix and will become lumpy.
- Add the masa harina to the Dutch oven with the sauteed onions then bring almost to a boil. Once the mixture starts to bubble, continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.Tip: This step eliminates any raw taste from Masa Harina.
- Slowly add to the Dutch oven the remaining 3 quarts of water while stirring to incorporate the paste and water.
- Add the crushed tomatoes then let the soup return to a gentle boil while stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced cheese to the soup while continuing to simmer and stirring occasionally, until the cheese melts.
- Add chicken then simmer to heat through. Leave on a gentle simmer until ready to serve.