Herb butter is easy to prepare using a combination of fresh herbs and dry ingredients of garlic, pepper, and salt. Although simple it can really enhance the item it is served with such as steak, baked potatoes, or bread.
You can use the herbs we suggest in the recipe below of thyme and rosemary, or mix and match your favorite herbs (or whatever may be growing in the garden). In addition to herbs, you can also use various spices. Dill may be a good addition if served with fish.
The seasoned butter may also be added before cooking such as rubbing it into a chicken before roasting or slathering on fish before baking. Once the basic technique is mastered there are a lot of variations and options.
Fresh Herb Butter Recipe
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- plastic wrap or parchment paper
- Remove the leaves from the rosemary and thyme. Finely chop or leave whole, depending on how smooth you want the butter to be.
- In a bowl add the butter, rosemary, thyme, salt, garlic, and pepper.
- Mix with your hands or wooden spoon until the seasonings are evenly distributed through the butter.
- Layout a sheet of plastic wrap. Add the butter then roll the plastic to form a log, by twisting the ends tightly it places more pressure on the butter to compress and create an even roll.
- Chill the butter roll until firm, at least 20 minutes.
- To serve, slice a place on top of a steak, baked potato, or similar.
Grilled Side Dish