Curries are a long cook dish to create tender pieces of meat in rich spicy sauces. This makes them ideal options for the long cook method of sous vide, this particular version taking 72 hours!
The beef rendang is made the traditional way including a scratch-made curry spice paste and individually added sauce ingredients. This version uses coconut milk for the sauce. Any beef works well but is ideal for brisket offcuts.
This rich curry can be served with any style of rice but goes well with Jasmine. Also is a great option to store or freeze for future meals.
Sous Vide Beef Rendang Recipe
- 2 lb stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon Slap Yo’ Daddy "Love Me Tender" All Purpose Rub -Hot
- 5 tablespoons finely minced lemongrass white part only
- 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 8 shallots peeled and chopped
- 6 teaspoons coriander powder
- 6 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil and more if needed
- 8 tablespoons coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- Thaior Serrano chilies to taste
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 whole cardamon pods
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (or substitute with lime zest)
- 4 tablespoons toasted grated coconut
- sous vide unit
- 1 1-gallon sous vide bag
- Dice beef into 1-inch (2 ½ cm) cubes.
- Sprinkle some Slap Yo’ Daddy Hot Rub over the beef cubes.
- Brown the surfaces of the beef cubes on a hot grill. Or smoke at 275 degrees F (135 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In a processor add the lemongrass, garlic, shallots, coriander, and chili.
- Turn on the blender and drizzle enough canola oil to allow the spices to blend into a paste.
- Heat a sauté pan with two tablespoons of canola oil to medium heat. Add the spice paste then saute gently until the oil begins to separate and the spice paste turns brown and fragrant; about 15-20 minutes.
- Set sauté pan and cooked spice paste aside to cool.
- In a bowl add the coconut cream, fish sauce, sugar, cinnamon, and tamarind paste. Stir.
- In a bowl combine the cinnamon, chilies, cloves, cardamom, and Kaffir lime leaves.
To Sous Vide
- Add to the bowl containing the coconut sauce the cooked spice paste, browned meat, and aromatics. Stir thoroughly.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into a gallon-sized sous vide bag and seal.
- Set the Sous Vide machine to 150 degrees F (66 degrees C) for 3 days (72 hours).Tip: This time will vary based on the meat you choose, this is based on a choice grade brisket stewing meat.
- Once cooked remove and cut open the sous vide bag. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the toasted coconut flakes, then serve with your favorite rice.
Two Pot Meal
Two Pot Meal
Two Pot Meal