Cooked on a closed grill, this grilled butterfly chicken has the same flavors and tenderness of a smoked chicken. The closed grill can be charcoal, gas, or pellet. Though the recipe only calls for a few simple ingredients, it packs a lot of flavors. It is both seasoned before cooking and glazed during cooking.
The act of butterflying a whole chicken helps to flatten it, creating a more even meat. This results in a chicken that will cook evenly rather than having some parts cooked while other parts are still raw. This method ensures your chicken won’t dry out in some places while being raw in others.
The flavors are easily added to the chicken by selecting a good quality BBQ rub and sauce that you enjoy eating. Be conservative when adding the seasonings, however, as chicken is mild meat and can be easily overpowered.
Grilled Butterfly Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole chicken butterflied
- Blues Hog Sweet & Savory Seasoning or favorite sewwt rub
- 1/2 cup Blues Hog Smokey Mountain Barbecue Sauce or favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- closed grill
- Preheat a closed grill to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Lay the butterflied chicken flat on a work surface, then lightly sprinkle with the sweet and savory seasoning. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Place the chicken bone side down on the grill and close. Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (71 degrees C), about 45 minutes.
- Combine the BBQ sauce and apple juice in a small saucepan, then warm until almost ready to boil.
- Glaze the chicken with your smokey Blues Hog Barbecue Sauce and apple juice combination.
- Close the grill and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the glaze has set.
- Remove and let rest until you are ready to serve.
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
BBQ Grilled Meat
Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
BBQ Grilled Kebab