Grilled Huli Huli chicken is a tropical-inspired grilled dish that is perfect with a cold beer. This is a perfect weekend dinner for when the sun is shining.
A marinade is made with sweet and savory flavors, then poured over the chicken for a few hours to overnight. Part of the marinade is used as a basting sauce, for even more flavor.
Originally from the Islands of Hawaii, this grilled chicken is especially good if grilled over mesquite wood. Try serving this with sticky rice and grilled pineapple.
Grilled Huli Huli Chicken Recipe
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 12 chicken thighs bone in skin on
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, sherry, Worcestershire, ketchup, garlic, ginger, pineapple, and sugar together. Reserve about ¼ of the mixture for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- Put the chicken thighs in the marinade, ensuring they are all coated. Chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard the marinade from the chicken.
- Heat your BBQ to medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature with a digital thermometer reads 160 degrees F (71 degrees C); baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, and allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
Grilled Chicken Alfredo
BBQ Grilled Meat